All Berkshire state (non-fee paying) schools are eligible to enter.
For older students, Young Citizens run the Bar Mock Trial Competition. For further details click here.
Although this is a competition, the main aim of the Mock Trials is to provide students with a realistic insight into criminal justice and an opportunity to practice new skills and develop confidence in the setting of a real court.
Dates, Cost and Timings
* Applications are made to Young Citizens at www.smartlaw.org.uk and have now closed for this year.
* Entry Fees for a team are £200 , but schools will receive a cheque for £35 on the day of their heat to offset some of this cost – funded from kind donations by former High Sheriffs of the Royal County of Berkshire.
* Berkshire heats will be held on Saturday 19th March 2022 at Reading Crown Court and will be subject to Government guidance at the time and court availability.
* Due to Covid-19, there will not be a Regional Final nor a National Final in 2022 but Young Citizens are hoping to hold a 'Celebration of Achievement' event later in the year.
* Open to students in Years 8 & 9 (and Year 10, age up to 15, for 2022 only).
* Team size between 12 and 16 students.
* Detailed, step by step preparation guides available online and free visits to your school from magistrates to get your team ready.
* Realistic case provided – recent offences include assault, theft, possession of a knife and harassment by social media – designed for relevance to young people.
* Different roles to include different capabilities.
* Magistrates, Solicitors, Usher, Defendant, Victim, Witnesses, Legal Advisor.
A typical morning timetable is:
9am Teams arrive at Reading Crown Court and will be met by a Schools' Liaison Magistrate who will show them directly to their Court Room.
9:15am Tour of the Court and Safety Briefing.
9:30 Round 1 - One team prosecutes and the other defends.
10:30am Refreshments - bottled water and biscuits will be available outside the court room.
11:15 am Round 2 - change from prosecution to defence
12:15 pm Finish - Teams leave court and results will be sent to teachers
Sadly we are unable to host the usual foyer gatherings to announce the winners in order to avoid crowding.
Afternoon Heats follow the same format but start at 1:15pm and finish at 4:30:pm